INCLUSION HOUSING: UNITED KINGDOM
Winner of The Business of the Year Award with t/o €0 - 25m for the European Business Awards 2016/17 sponsored by RSM
Inclusion Housing is a leading health and social care landlord for vulnerable adults; providing flexible, innovative housing solutions and life opportunities in partnership with an array of funders, carers, and developers. It currently manages approximately 1300 homes across England.
1. What does it mean to you to win the European Business Award?
We are delighted to be associated with such a prestigious award. It gives you great confidence to be recognized as a very successful business and one of the best in Europe. Furthermore, it will help us build the company, forge ahead, as it enhances our reputation. We will be more confident in approaching other partners and creating additional successful relationships.
2. Has it changed anything for your business - will it change anything in the future?
It has boosted our determination to grow the business. We have ambitious plans for growth and we expect this Award – which is a real reflection of our success – will help us to deliver them, accelerate it even. We also hope this Award will attract more people to our company that may not have known about us before.
3. What did you gain from going through the Awards process? For example, did writing the application focus you on your business strategy?
Entering the Awards really made us focus on what we are doing and resulted in a thorough review of our business plan to ensure everything was aligned. It was a fantastic way to examine where we were going in terms of our growth, ethics and ambition.
4. Did the networking opportunities during the competition allow you make any new relationships/contacts/partnerships or clients?
We have had amazing feedback on the company following both the London event, and the Grand Final in Dubrovnik, so the exposure they provide is great. It was also very beneficial for us to step outside our world and interact with other businesses, countries and sectors, and learn from what they are doing. We did make a couple of very interesting contacts and will be exchanging information very soon.
5. Would you recommend other businesses in Europe to apply? If yes why?
Yes definitely, the application form is a positive way to scrutinize your business strategy, and the prestige of Awards brings great rewards. It is European, which adds an important addition element of competition and comparison. It is also an extremely professional event, which has an important purpose. Finally, I would say it is a great way to promote the company - and it’s highly enjoyable!
6. What top tips would you give to a new company regarding:
- the entry form: try to align what’s required with your business strategy, it creates a great natural synergy
- the video: make sure it reflects your business and your people, don’t make it too formal
- the public vote: use social media as much as you can and contact as many people as possible – partners and partners of partners etc. It is a great way to get yourself out there.
7. What is the key to your success?
We are a disrupter business, we don’t have the usual model; in fact, we created a new model and do things differently. We de-risk the process by using partnerships, and hire and develop the right talent.
8. What is the greatest lesson you have learnt in business?
It is all about having great people around you and helping them to be the best they can be.