4 Jun 2013
Event Update – 4/6/2013 – 1.00pm BST
From Adrian Tripp, CEO, European Business Awards
As you are aware, we have been evaluating the situation on the ground in Istanbul constantly and are of the opinion that the European Business Awards Gala Ceremony should proceed on Thursday, as should the networking event at the British Consulate.
Foremost in our minds is the safety of everyone attending the European Business Awards Gala ceremony and after seeking advice from numerous sources including the British Consulate in Istanbul, the consensus of opinion is that the risk of any trouble directly affecting the event is small. We have checked with other organisations running events and with the exception of traffic delays and disruptions, the events and delegates have been unaffected by the protests and troubles.
Naturally all advice is to avoid areas where protests are taking place. However because of the fluidity of the situation, the risk of trouble cannot be ruled out completely. So it is for that reason we would fully understand if you decided not to attend the event. It is your decision to make, in the end you have to evaluate for yourself whether you think the risk is too significant to attend or not.
One of my colleagues was asked by a Ruban d’Honneur recipient whether attendance would affect the results of the European Business Awards in any way, and it categorically will not. The results have been already been decided by the judges and cannot and will not change now.
A couple of points to take into account: travel is taking longer around the city so give yourself as much time as possible (Istanbul traffic is bad at the best of times) and please keep following the news about the general strike. At present, it does not look like it will affect travel in and out of the country but this may change during the next 24 hours.
My team has spoken to many of you and as said we are very much looking forward to bringing everyone together to celebrate your achievements and to announce this year’s winners. We hope to see you at the event and to introduce you to each other as we are sure some very productive relationships will be formed. For those of you that decide not to attend, we are exploring the option of making a broadcast announcement of the results.
We will continue to monitor events today and will issue another update at 6pm BST this evening. However as I said, please make your own judgement, consult with your organisations and make your decision to attend or not as we will not be able to mitigate the risk completely. If you decide not to attend please notify the EBA team.
Many thanks for your understanding and all of your wishes of support.